Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Excellent Joe Casey Interview on The Comics Reporter

Check out this in-depth interview with Joe Casey on one of my favorite comics news sites, The Comics Reporter: http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/cr_holiday_interview_1/

Joe Casey is one of my personal artistic heroes, and definitely up there with Peter Milligan in my pantheon of all-time favorite writers. Like Milligan, Casey's body of work is a good mixture of critical darling and commercial. I didn't know Casey himself is a fan of Milligan, though. For evidence, I present this tidbit:
Of course, back in the warm embrace of the comic book medium, at this point I'm actually quite satisfied with maybe/possibly/hopefully being counted among a nice tradition of cult writers who tried to push the envelope, each in their own ways, and who had occasional flashes of mass, mainstream exposure. Don McGregor. Steve Gerber. Peter Milligan. Mike Baron. Howard Chaykin. These are writers I admire a lot, some of them are bonafide heroes of mine, so if I can even get close to the kind of contribution they made to the medium, that ain't bad at all. It's a niche where maybe I actually fit in.
It's nice to see that two writers I really like have more in common than one might expect from a cursory glance at their respective bibliographies. Casey certainly neatly summarizes impact of Milligan (and the other writers he namechecks) in a way that reminds me why I enjoy reading comics.

No comments:

Post a Comment